Saturday, September 1, 2007

Beer Cupcakes....Hoegaarden

Made some beer cupcakes today..
VC gave me a couple of bottles of Hoegaarden couple of weeks back..

Had been looking at the beer cupcake recipe for days, dying to try them... Finally had sometime to whipped up something with the Hoegaardens..
The recipe was from "Beer City, Little Kitchen".. The recipe calls for Guinness, I don't have that, only had 3 bottles of Hoegaarden in the cabinet..
Guess it should work, they're all beer anyway!!! Haha..
Gena (author of "Beer City, Little Kitchen") uses a Cream Cheese Glaze for her beer cupcakes..I substitute it with Beer Whipped Cream instead (a "reinvention" from the Kahlua Chocolate Whipped Cream by How to eat a cupcake.. hahaha)...



The beer whipped cream smell soooooo GOOD!!! The cupcake had little beer taste.. probably the beer I used was too light... the cocoa powder musked the taste I guess...
Gave some of these cuppies to VC (of coz, he got me the beer what...haha) and a couple to EW...
VC tried 1 on the spot.. same verdict as mine, he was expecting a stronger beer taste...
Ok, I'm going to "alter" the cupcake recipe abit (or maybe I should stick to Guinness next time) and try it out another day.. hmmmmmm......

2 comments:

Stef said...

I made this recipe using a chocolate stout and the beer flavor also wasn't that strong. I'm not sure what would make it stronger.

Cupcake Mania said...

I've got a feeling its the amount of cocoa powder used in the recipe.. The taste of beer was actually masked by the cocoa powder...Thot of minus the amount of cocoa and probably using Tiger beer instead of Hoegaarden..let me experiment this out, let you know ya...by way, I'm a new kid in baking, so whether my little experiment would work not..heh heh...